African American Research
This research package is designed for customers who want to focus on a specific ancestor or ancestral family. If you want more complete family tree, choose a larger research project. Our staff will search as many records as possible in the time allowed to accomplish your research goal. A Research Consultant will work with you to refine your research needs to fit a four hour project.
Research project fees include:
- The time required to review previous research, interact with you, other family members, and persons who share your ancestry by email, telephone or mail.
- Research, locating and acquiring documents, analysis, creating your family tree, report writing, and preparing your project for shipping.
- Copying, postage, shipping, handling, and extra copies of each report.
- When it looks like research costs might exceed 10% of a retainer, you will be asked to provide written approval, preferably by email.
- We endeavor to accomplish your research goals in the time that you purchase, but sometimes a wish list exceeds what can be accomplished in a fixed amount of time. If that happens, a consultant will ask if you want to wrap-up the project or purchase additional hours.
- Retainers are non-refundable.
Depending on workload and unless otherwise negotiated, it may take 2-3 months from the time of purchase to complete a mini-project. We recommend, but do not require, that clients take a minimum of one and preferably two DNA tests. These tests play a big role in getting past road blocks caused by record loss and undefined relationship. A research consultant will guide you in choosing a DNA testing service. If you agree to test, research will not begin until the results have been delivered.